Last fall the Chicago-area venue had its simulcast signals get pulled from a number of tracks because of unsettled financial transactions, which prevented Hawthorne from offering wagering on this year’s Kentucky Derby

Some Standardbred horsemen in Illinois saw their payments from Hawthorne Race Course for purse distribution, as well as trainer and driving earnings, returned unpaid by banks, according to a letter from the Illinois Harness Horseman’s Association (IHHA) to its members.
The IHHA expressed frustration and disappointment over the failed payments and called on the Illinois Racing Board (IRB) to review the issue. According to the IHHA, Hawthorne indicated that the returned payments were the result of a system or processing problem, and re-submitting the checks will result in payment. However, the IHHA said that some horsemen’s banks are not allowing re-deposits, requiring new checks to be issued. Some members have already received replacement checks from Hawthorne.
The association is requesting that Hawthorne pay any documented bank fees and penalties incurred by horsemen due to the returned payments, and said it will continue working with the IRB and all appropriate parties until payments are made and safeguards are in place to avoid the problem in the future.
This isn’t the first time Hawthorne has failed to make payments. Last fall Hawthorne, had its simulcast signals get pulled from a number of tracks because of unsettled financial transactions, including tracks owned by Churchill Downs Inc., which prevented Hawthorne from offering wagering on this year’s Kentucky Derby.
In 2020 Hawthorne demolished part of its grandstand to make room for a casino to help supplement purses, but no partner has been secured and no further construction has occurred. According to a Chicago Tribune article published on May 15, liens have been attached to Hawthorne by numerous companies, totaling more than $5-million, stemming from the partial demolition of the grandstand. According to the article, Hawthorne officials said they settled one of the claims and plan to pay off the debt once financing for the project is obtained.
In September, Hawthorne Owner, President and General Manager Tim Carey said he believed they had a casino partner last year but an “internal issue” caused the investor to bail. Carey told the IRB that “we anticipate that we’ll be able to make an announcement sometime in the fourth quarter in terms of where we are with the project. We anticipate that if we announce it in the fourth quarter, we would be open by the fourth quarter of 2027.” As of right now Hawthorne’s almost six-year search for a casino partner continues.
Hawthorne was approved for 63 Thoroughbred racing days in 2026, while its affiliate, Suburban Downs, was approved for 34 harness dates at Hawthorne for 2026.
By Mike Davey for the Paulick Report, Reprinted with permission from the Paulick Report
USA
Canada
Australia
New Zealand
Europe
UK / IRE
