Harness Racing New South Wales (HRNSW) has called an end to its innovative Breed NSW subsidy program.

HRNSW advised participants today (April 24) that the subsidy program would not be renewed following the successful completion of a three-year commitment to the end of 2025.
HRNSW said since its inception, Breed NSW has delivered $4.9 million in direct financial support to breeders across the state.
Since the commencement of the 2022 breeding season, the scheme has provided owners of broodmares – pacers and trotters – domiciled permanently in NSW:
- $250 on a 42 day pregnancy test;
- $1000 on the 2023 HRNSW registration of a live foal; and an additional
- $500 for live foals by stallions domiciled in NSW which have been accepted into the “Breed NSW” Scheme.
The Colonial Stallion Scheme (pacers $500 cash rebate) and the Trot NSW Incentive (trotters $500 cash rebate) which were introduced previously in NSW effectively delivered a cash rebate of $2000 to the breeder of a live foal which meets all the criteria.
Today’s statement said the Breed NSW investment had played a significant role in mitigating the national decline in foal numbers and in securing a strong market share for New South Wales within the Australian breeding landscape.
Final payments will be made to eligible participants expecting foals in the 2025 breeding season, in line with the program’s outlined criteria.
HRNSW acknowledges the positive impact of Breed NSW and extends its appreciation to all stakeholders who have supported and participated in the program. Over the coming months, HRNSW will consider new and alternative strategies to support the breeding sector and ensure the continued strength and sustainability of the harness racing industry in New South Wales.
HRNSW said further updates would be provided as future initiatives are developed.
From Harnesslink Media
USA
Canada
Australia
New Zealand
Europe
UK / IRE
